Saturday, June 8, 2013

10 year later

I went to my 10 year college reunion last weekend.
I did not, for one moment previous to getting there, feel confident that it would be worth my time and money.
It was.

A whole lifetime can occur in 10 years. It truly can. People can change. Change as in change, not change as in completely become utterly totally new or different people, but positive changes do occur. I was thrilled to find that they had.

The most awkward moment came at the end, brunch the morning directly before leaving for home.
I'm sitting in a booth with my friend and three classmates I never was friends with during college but apparently get along with fine now, while the next table over is my old after-college roommate who had been my best friend... the best friend who did her best to turn everyone against me unprovoked. To this day I have no idea why she turned on me and felt that I, the person who adopted her as family and stood by her through thick and thin, had horribly wronged her. I still have no idea why and this, the first time seeing her in years, she acted as if nothing wrong had ever happened. Her husband asked me for a hug. So awkward that my classmates even remarked it was odd.

What I wished I had said, and hope I say if we meet again:
"You hurt me deeply. I wish you no ill but I am content that I rarely think of you at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment